Galvanize Privacy & Cookies
Galvanize respects privacy and is committed to protecting our customer’s personal data.
“Personal information” is generally considered to be any information about an identified individual or that can be used (directly or indirectly) to identify an individual, for example, an individual’s name, e-mail address, phone number, online identifier, IP address or photo. Information that has been anonymized, and from which no individual can be identified either directly or in combination with other data, is not personal information.
- Websites, applications, products or services that are operated by companies other than Galvanize and may be accessed from our websites (such as YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or Jobvite), or to business activities or practices of third parties, including our channel partners and resellers. Please consult the Privacy Policies of those third parties for information about their privacy practices; or
- Personal information collected and used in the operation of Galvanize products and services, unless we use your personal information for our own business purposes, such as direct marketing of our products or for product improvement. Your organization administers and controls your use of Galvanize products and services, including your personal information and the personal information of others that may be used in connection with the Galvanize products. Use of such personal information is governed by the applicable agreement(s) for the Galvanize products and services and is the responsibility of your organization. Please contact your administrator for any privacy questions about your use of Galvanize products and services.
Personal Information We Collect
Galvanize collects personal information that you provide to us directly, that we collect automatically when you access and use Galvanize websites and products, and that is provided to us by third parties or through publicly available sources.
Personal information you provide to us directly includes:
- Contact Information. We collect contact information, such as your name, email address, company or organization, job level and function, industry, telephone number and/or country when you fill out online forms, register online, set-up a user account or make a support enquiry.
- Billing Information. If you make a purchase, such as an online training course or attendance at an event, we will collect your billing address and payment preferences. If you choose to pay by credit card, your credit card details (number, expiration date, card verification value (cvv)) will be provided directly to our payment processor. We do not keep or store credit card information.
- Career Information. We will collect your resume and work eligibility if you submit a job application or sign-up for job alerts through the Careers section of our web site. You may, optionally, provide us with your social profiles (such as Facebook and LinkedIn) and any other information you choose to provide with your application.
- Other Information. We collect other information that you provide to us at your option, such as survey responses, contest submissions, user profile information (which may include a photo) or special notes you have asked us to include with your account information.
Personal information collected when you access and use Galvanize websites or products includes:
- Log Information. Galvanize collects your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type and settings, language preferences, access times, your Internet Service Provider and cookies (see below). Your IP address is a unique 32-bit numeric address that distinguishes your computer from another computer.
- Device Information. If you access Galvanize websites or products through your mobile device, Galvanize will collect the type, brand and model of device, the operating system and version, unique device identifiers, mobile network information or platform information (to the extent permitted) and device settings, such as screen resolution, browser or mobile input selector (i.e., touchscreen, mouse, clickwheel).
- Product Usage Information. Galvanize collects aggregated data about use of the Galvanize products, including applications and features used, number and size of attached files, number and types of devices used to access Galvanize products, and content accessed and used. Usage information does not contain any customer data.
Personal information provided by third parties or publicly available sources includes:
- Galvanize Channel Partners and Resellers. We collect information you or your organization provide to Galvanize channel partners or resellers in order to fulfill your organization’s order for Galvanize products and services.
- Data Providers. From time to time, we may collect business contact information and contact lists from third party data providers, provided they have demonstrated compliance with applicable privacy and data protection laws.
- Social Media. We may collect contact information you provide to third party social media services and make publicly available (such as LinkedIn).
How We Use Personal Information
Galvanize uses the personal information we collect for the following purposes:
Fulfill Your Requests. We use your personal information to fulfill your requests to download materials, such as ebooks, webinars, analyst reports or product details; to register for a webinar, event or course; to obtain further information about our products; to access products and services you are authorized to use; to receive job alerts; and to process your purchase and payment.
- Sales and Marketing. We use your personal information to provide you with information about our products and services that may be of interest to you, such as new features, newsletters, offers, promotions, contests, and events; to host and carry out events and contests; to improve our websites and web-based services to meet visitor and user needs; and to seek information about your use of our products and services to better understand your needs and as input to future product development or marketing activities.
- Products and Services. We use personal information to set up individual user accounts for our customers and verify users’ identity for access to Galvanize products and related resources, such as technical support, online training, tools and templates; to communicate with our customers about their product subscription through emails and in-app notifications to their individual users, including notices regarding scheduled maintenance, updates, security alerts, support and administrative messages and issues concerning use of our products and services; to make it easier to use our websites or web-based services (for instance, by collecting cookies of your email address and password so that you will not need to re-enter your password to log on); and to carry out research and development in order to improve our products and services.
- Job Applications. We use your personal information to process job applications made through the Careers section of our web site.
- Community Forums. We use your personal information to give you access to our community forums and allow you to create your own user profile. Please be aware that:
- Your name, title, organization and “about me” information are publicly displayed in the community forums and user groups.
- Your profile photo will not be publicly displayed unless you choose to show your photo on publicly accessible pages by checking a box for this.
- Your profile is searchable by other community users and the public, even if they are not part of your organization.
- Content that you share or post may be seen by other users of the community or the public.
We will also use personal information for other purposes of which we have notified you, or as legally required.
Legal Basis (For EU Individuals)
If you are an individual in the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA), the lawful basis for collecting and using your personal information is consent, where you have given consent, or our legitimate interests (which are not overridden by your data protection interests), such as operating our business, understanding and improving our products, direct marketing related to our products and services, hosting events, communicating with our customers and their users about our products, services, events or related resources, improving our websites and protecting our legal rights and interests.
Where consent is the legal basis, you may withdraw that consent at any time. Where we are using your personal information for our legitimate interests, you have the right to object to that use. See below under Your Rights for how to withdraw consent or object. If you have any questions about the lawful basis upon which we collect and use your personal data, please Contact us.
Sharing Your Personal Information
Galvanize may share your information as provided below.
- Vendors and Service Providers. Galvanize may share your personal information with third party vendors and service providers who provide products and services that we use to operate our business and carry out the purposes listed above. These include customer relationship management systems, contract signing applications, in-app notifications, website hosting, website analysis, marketing campaigns, email services, event registration, billing and payment processing, cloud-hosted document storage, job applications and alerts, surveys and contests, and other contractors or consultants that work on our behalf. Before sharing your personal information, we ensure that the third parties receiving the personal information have provided appropriate safeguards, and that your privacy rights are protected and preserved.
- Corporate Transactions. Galvanize may share your personal information in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, amalgamation, sale of company assets, financing, purchase or acquisition, subject to a commercially reasonable confidentiality or non-disclosure agreement.
- Compliance with Laws. Galvanize may disclose your personal information to a third party if we are required to do so in order to comply with applicable laws, government request, a court order or other quasi-government request to assist with an investigation. We may also be required to disclose your personal information to enforce our legal rights, to enforce security requirements, or to respond to an emergency which we believe, in good faith, requires us to disclose your personal information. In such instances, if permissible, we will make every reasonable effort to give you as much notice as possible regarding the disclosure of your personal information, what information was disclosed and why.
Storage and Retention
We retain personal information only for as long as necessary to achieve our stated purposes, or as required by applicable law. After such time, we will delete, archive or anonymize your personal information. We will securely store your personal information until it is deleted.
- User Account Information is kept for as long as your user account is active and for a reasonable period after it has been deactivated in the event you or your organization wish to re-activate your user account. User account information may also be retained as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes or maintain our relationship with your customer organization. Credit card information is never kept or stored by us.
- Career Information is kept until your job application has been reviewed and may be kept on file as required by law and for future consideration as new job opportunities arise.
- Log and Device Information regarding your use of our websites or products will be kept for up to three (3) years.
- Marketing Contact Information will be kept after your initial consent until you delete your information or request that we do so. You may opt-out or unsubscribe from our mailing lists and marketing messages at any time by updating your email preferences in your account settings. You may also opt out or unsubscribe from future email communications from a link within each email we send to you.
You may delete your personal information, or request that we do so, at any time. See below under Your Rights for further information on how to do this.
Security and Shared Responsibility
Galvanize takes reasonable steps to ensure the security of your personal information against loss, misuse and unauthorized disclosure. We have implemented policies, standardized procedures, training, and physical and logical access controls. Our websites and sub-domains are protected by an SSL (Secured Sockets Layers) certificate to ensure all information is transmitted over a secured connection between your browser and our web server. We use PCI compliant third party payment processors to process credit card transactions in a secure manner.
While we follow, and often exceed, industry standards to protect your information, no electronic communication is ever completely secure. You share responsibility for protection of your personal information by keeping your username and password confidential and by changing passwords regularly.
Galvanize will notify affected parties of any security incident involving personal information in accordance with Galvanize’s Security Incident Response Plan and applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
Many of the third parties we use to store and process your personal information are located in the United States. If you are located in the European Union, the European Economic Area, Switzerland or the United Kingdom, your personal information will be transferred outside your home country to the United States or to another country where our third party service providers operate.
Before making such transfers, we ensure that the third parties receiving the personal information have provided appropriate safeguards, and that your privacy rights are protected and preserved. Such safeguards may include certification and adherence to EU-US Privacy Shield and Swiss-US Privacy Shield Frameworks, the Standard Contractual Clauses approved by the European Commission, binding corporate rules, or other legal mechanisms to safeguard the personal information being transferred.
Information about the Privacy Shield Frameworks can be found at www.privacyshield.gov
You have certain rights in respect of your personal information. These rights are set out below.
Correction and Deletion
Galvanize will make reasonable efforts to ensure that the personal information we collect from you is accurate and complete. You may update, correct or delete your personal information at any time by logging into your user account and modifying your personal information, including your preferences to receive messages from us. You may also update, correct or delete information by contacting us as noted below or by contacting the Galvanize Support Center (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you wish to deactivate your product user account, please contact your organization’s administrator.
Where we have relied on your consent to use your personal information, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time by contacting us as noted below. In addition, all our marketing email messages contain the ability to automatically “opt-out” or unsubscribe from our mailing lists and marketing messages. You may also elect not to receive communication from us by updating your preferences in your account settings or sending an email to email@example.com to request that we remove your email, address and name from our mailing lists. We will continue to send you messages of a non-promotional nature related to your organization’s product subscription or your user account, such as security alerts, maintenance notices, updates, renewal or suspension notices, or notifications to comply with legal requirements or applicable law.
Access and Portability
You have the right to request a record of the personal information that we have collected about you. In addition, you have the right to request that we provide that information in a structured, commonly used electronic format for transmission to another company (where applicable and technically feasible). There may be some cases where we cannot provide you with certain information about you if it would mean disclosure of personal information of another person or other confidential information, or if it would compromise our security systems. If you require access to your personal information, please Contact Us. We will respond to you within thirty (30) days of receiving your request. We may charge a fee where permitted by applicable law.
Restriction and Objection
In certain limited circumstances, individuals in the EU may request that we restrict our use of their personal information and, where we rely on legitimate interests as the legal basis for using your personal information, you have the right to object to such use. In these cases, we can be required to no longer use your personal information; however, this may mean that certain products, services or information cannot be made available to you. If you wish to exercise your right to restrict or object, please Contact Us.
Individuals in the EU have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority (i.e., the independent public authority responsible for monitoring data protection laws in their country). You may also contact the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (for international matters and inter-provincial matters) (http://www.priv.gc.ca/) or the Information and Privacy Commissioner of British Columbia (for British Columbian matters) (http://www.oipc.bc.ca/).
ACL Services Ltd. dba Galvanize
1500, 980 Howe Street
Canada, V6Z 0C8
Attention: Privacy Officer
Relational Security Corporation dba Galvanize (“Galvanize”) recognizes that its customers, visitors, users, and others (collectively or individually “Users”) who use www.rsam.com (the “Website”) and the Galvanize Customer Community platform (the “Customer Community”, collectively with the Website, the “Galvanize Services”) value their privacy. This Privacy Notice details important information regarding the use and disclosure of User information collected on the Galvanize Services. Galvanize provides this Privacy Notice to help you make an informed decision about whether to utilize or continue utilizing the Galvanize Services.
This Privacy Notice, your use of the Galvanize Services, and any personal information you provide is incorporated into and is subject to the Galvanize Terms of Service as well as the Galvanize Community Forums Terms of Service and Rules.
Galvanize Collects The Following Information:
- User Provided Information: You provide certain personally identifiable information (such as your name, phone number, physical address, and email address) to Galvanize when choosing to participate in various activities on Galvanize Services such as posting messages in our forums, requesting downloads of whitepapers, requesting demonstrations or pricing information or subscribing to newsletters or other mailing lists.
Analytics, Cookies and Other Web Site Technologies
Galvanize is continuously improving our websites and products through the use of various third party web analytics tools, which help us understand how visitors use our websites, desktop tools, and mobile applications, what they like and dislike, and where they may have problems. While we maintain ownership of this data, we do not share this type of data about individual users with third parties.
Geolocation and Other Data:
- We may utilize precise geolocation data but only if you specifically opt-in to collection of that data in connection with a particular service. We also use information such as IP addresses to determine the general geographic locations areas of our visitors. The web beacons used in conjunction with these web analytics tools may gather data such as what browser or operating system a person uses, as well as, domain names, MIME types, and what content, products and services are reviewed or downloaded when visiting or registering for services at one of our websites or using one of our mobile applications.
We use Google Analytics as described in “How Google uses data when you use our partners’ sites or apps.” You can prevent your data from being used by Google Analytics on websites by installing the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on here. We also employ IP address masking, a technique used to truncate IP addresses collected by Google Analytics and store them in an abbreviated form to prevent them from being traced back to individual users.
Galvanize Uses Information In The Following Way:
- If you submit personally identifiable information to us through the Galvanize Services, then we use your personal information to operate, maintain, and provide to you the features and functionality of the Galvanize Services.
- Any personal information or content that you voluntarily disclose online via the Community Forums becomes publicly available and can be collected and used by others. Your account name (not your email address) is displayed to other Users when you upload comments or send messages through the Community Forums and other Users can contact you through messages and comments.
- We do not use your email address or other personally identifiable information to send commercial or marketing messages without your consent or except as part of a specific program or feature for which you will have the ability to opt-in or opt-out. We may, however, use your email address without further consent for non-marketing or administrative purposes (such as notifying you of major changes to the Galvanize Services or for customer service purposes).
- We use both your personally identifiable information and certain non-personally-identifiable information (such as anonymous User usage data, cookies, IP addresses, browser type, clickstream data, etc.) to improve the quality and design of the Galvanize Services and to create new features, promotions, functionality, and services by storing, tracking, and analyzing User preferences and trends.
- Galvanize will retain your information in order to comply with our legal obligations, to resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Galvanize Only Discloses Information When:
- We provide personally identifiable information and non-personally-identifiable information to our subsidiaries, affiliated companies, or other businesses or persons for the purpose of processing such information on our behalf. We require that these parties agree to process such information in compliance
- with our Privacy Notice, and we use reasonable efforts to limit their use of such information and to use other appropriate confidentiality and security measures.
- We do not share your personally identifiable information (such as name or email address) with other, third-party companies for their commercial or marketing use without your consent or except as part of a specific program or feature for which you will have the ability to opt-in or opt-out. Third party service providers have access to personal information only as needed to perform their functions and they must process the personal information in accordance with this Privacy Notice. If we transfer any of your personal information to a third party acting as an agent, we will be responsible for any acts of those third-party agents that are inconsistent with this Privacy Notice, unless otherwise provided by law.
- We do share non-personally-identifiable information (such as anonymous User usage data, referring / exit pages and URLs, platform types, number of clicks, etc.) with interested third parties to assist them in understanding the usage patterns for certain content, services, advertisements, promotions, and/or functionality on the Galvanize Services.
- We may release personally identifiable information and/or non-personally-identifiable information if required to do so by law, or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with state and federal laws (such as U.S. Copyright Law) or respond to a court order, subpoena, or search warrant. We may also disclose personally identifiable information as part of a merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company where customer information will be one of the transferred assets. In the unlikely event of our bankruptcy, insolvency, reorganization, receivership, or assignment for the benefit of creditors, or the application of laws or equitable principles affecting creditors’ rights generally, we may not be able to control how your personal information is treated, transferred, or used.
- Galvanize also reserves the right to disclose personally identifiable information and/or non-personally-identifiable information that Galvanize believes, in good faith, is appropriate or necessary to enforce our Terms of Service or Galvanize Community Forums Terms of Service and Rules, take precautions against liability, to investigate and defend itself against any third-party claims or allegations, to assist government enforcement agencies, to protect the security or integrity of the Galvanize Services, and to protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Galvanize, our Users or others.
- We may also disclose your personal information to any third party with your prior consent.
Legal Basis for Processing (EEA Individuals Only): If you are from the European Economic Area (“EEA”), our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it.
- However, we will normally collect personal information from you where we have your consent to do so, where we need the personal information to perform the Galvanize Services, or where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect the personal information in question.
- If we ask you to provide personal information to comply with a legal requirement or to provide you with the Galvanize Services, we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of your personal information is mandatory or not (as well as of the possible consequences if you do not provide your personal information).
- Similarly, if we collect and use your personal information in reliance on our or a third party’s legitimate interests and those interests are not already listed above, we will make clear to you at the relevant time what those legitimate interests are.
- If you have questions about or need further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information, please contact us.
You may, of course, decline to submit personally identifiable information through the Galvanize Services, in which case Galvanize may not be able to provide certain services to you. You may update or correct your personal prole information and email preferences at any time by visiting your account prole page. Please note that media les uploaded by Users to Galvanize Services cannot be removed and remain subject to our Terms of Service or Galvanize Community Forums Terms of Service and Rules.
To protect your privacy and security, we take reasonable steps (such as requesting a unique password) to verify your identity before granting you prole access or making corrections. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your unique password and account information at all times.
Please contact Galvanize with any questions or comments about this Privacy Notice, your personal information, your consent, or your opt-in or opt-out choices by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accessing Your Data
Our users can always review, update or change personal information that you provide to Galvanize. Galvanize will also, when you request, provide you with information about whether we hold, or process on behalf of a third party, any of your personal information. Please contact us here if you need assistance in reviewing your information. Galvanize will respond to your access request to review the information we have on le for you within a reasonable time.
If you are from certain territories (such as the European Union), you may have additional rights under their data protection laws, such as the following:
- Access: Right to request access to and a copy of your personal information;
- Restriction: You can ask us to restrict processing of your personal information in certain circumstances;
- Rectification: You can have any inaccuracies in your personal information corrected;
- Deletion: You can ask us to delete your personal information in certain circumstances (e.g. if the information is no longer necessary for the purposes for which it was collected);
- Objection: You can object to further processing your personal information in certain circumstances;
- Withdrawal of consent: Where we rely on your consent to process your personal information, you have the right to decline consent and/or if provided, to withdraw it at any time. This will not affect the lawfulness of processing prior to the withdrawal of your consent.
- Portability: You can ask us to provide your personal information in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format in certain circumstances.
You can exercise the above rights by contacting us and we will consider such requests in accordance with applicable data protection laws. We may ask you to verify your identity before we respond to your request.
You may also have the right to raise questions or complaints with your data protection authority at any time.
We may transfer personal information to companies that help us provide the Galvanize Services, and when we do, these transfers to subsequent third parties are covered by appropriate transfer agreements. We will retain personal data we process on behalf of our users as needed to provide the Galvanize Services. Also, we will retain this personal information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Galvanize is headquartered in the United States of America. Information that we collect and maintain may be transferred to, or controlled and processed in, the United States and/or other countries around the world. When you provide us with information, or use our website(s) and services, you consent to this transfer. We will protect the privacy and security of personal information we collect in accordance with this Privacy Notice, regardless of where it is processed or stored.
California Privacy Rights
California law provides that California residents have a right to request that businesses tell them how their personally identifiable information has been shared with third parties for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes. Galvanize does not share personally identifiable information with third parties for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes.
Galvanize’s Commitment To Security of Data:
Galvanize uses commercially reasonable physical, managerial, and technical safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of your personal information. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to Galvanize and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission of information, Galvanize makes commercially reasonable efforts to ensure the security of our systems. However, please note that this is not a guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards.
If Galvanize learns of a security systems breach, then we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. Galvanize may post a notice on Galvanize Services if a security breach occurs. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing. To receive a free written notice of a security breach (or to withdraw your consent from receiving electronic notice) you should notify us by emailing email@example.com.
A Note About Minors:
This Website is a business and commercial site. As such, it is not intended for children or minors. In compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998, no one under 13 years of age can use the Website. If you are a minor between the ages of 13 and 18, you may use the Website only in conjunction with your parent, legal guardian, or other responsible adult.
Alterations and Updates to this Privacy Notice:
This Privacy Notice may be revised periodically and this will be reflected by the “effective date” below. Please revisit this page to stay aware of any changes. In general, we only use your personal information in the manner described in the Privacy Notice in effect when we received the personal information you provided. Your continued use of the Galvanize Services constitutes your agreement to this Privacy Notice and any future revisions.
For revisions to this Privacy Notice that may be materially less restrictive on our use or disclosure of the personal information you have already provided to us, we will attempt to obtain your consent before implementing such revisions with respect to such information.
Date Last Modified:
This Privacy Notice was last modified May 25, 2018.
Please contact Galvanize with any questions or comments about this Privacy Notice by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.